Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"Slavery and the KKK" meet "Hats"


This past weekend I appeared in a local production called “Hats.” It is loosely based on the poem by Dr. Joe Cornelius and is being performed in honor of black history month. I played first a slave catcher, then an assistant at a slave auction and finally a member of the KKK hanging a black man for looking at a white woman.

Needless to say it is not a fun set of roles, but someone has to do it. But it really is horrible. I have to keep telling myself that there is a purpose to my part, and I understand it is educational, but I really really don’t like it and it makes me very uncomfortable. I can easily say that this is not my history, and that most of my ancestors weren’t in this country during the times represented, but it still is part of the shame of our country.

I am glad that the rest of the cast (mostly black) are understanding and sympathetic and realize that it is just a role, but some of the kids have looked at me in that KKK robe and been taken aback. That makes me feel bad. Other kids think I am playing a ghost and that makes me feel bad in a different way.

It also makes me think about encounters I’ve had with racism, and I can honestly say that I have stood up against it publicly a few times and it has cost me relationships. Obviously they were relationships that were formed while not knowing the person’s inner thoughts on equality. I’ve had the same experiences with gay bashing as well. I mean, what year is it going to be when people realize that people are people?

People are born the way they are born. If that means you are straight, gay, black, white, or whatever. At least be tolerant and quiet if you can’t be accepting. But really I think it mostly just takes getting to know people who aren’t like you, and then coming to know them as people, and not as “what they are.” I was mostly always “tolerant” of gay and lesbian folks, but until I got into theater and got to know more of them did I become totally accepting. I think the same thing happened to me in the military with accepting people of other races.

Prior to that, I didn’t really know too many people of other races and was okay with them, but just didn’t have the familiarity to fully accept. that may sound a little strange, but we all evolve over time (well, most of us) and become new people. My early self would probably be boggled at what I’ve become, but it’s gradual change over time to become that which you aspire towards..

And on a totally different note, here's my latest comedy video. Sort of a "spinal tap" flavor, or "the rutles"

No comments: